I first learned this at Le Cordon Bleu and pull it out whenever I need a quick dessert to take to friends.
This recipes makes small mini cakes which can be cut and shared. Total prep time is about one hour - don't be put off on this since they are well worth it.
Egg whites 140 grams (about 3.5 eggs)
Sugar 100 grams
Flour 35 grams
Almond powder 165 grams
Butter 150 grams
Chocolate wafer cookies chopped
1. Lightly butter & flour each of the small pans. Recipe makes about 10.
2. Put the butter in a sauce pan over medium heat and melt until it becomes bubbly then frothy. Heat only until the butter is lightly browned - do not burn. Remove from the pan and cool.
3. In a bowl put the egg whites and start to whip with a mixer. Add the sugar in portions and mix until stiff.
4. Sift the almond powder and flour together. Add this mixture to the egg whites and mix using a spatula.
Corn syrup 15 grams
Fresh cream 100 grams
4. Put in a pastry bag with a nozzle and nicely fill in the top of each cake.