|Fresh out of the oven|
Apple walnut muffins topped with cinnamon crumble.
There are 3 parts to the recipe.
1. Apple Caramel:
60 grams sugar
40 grams butter
200 grams cubed apples
1. Heat the sugar in a pan until it turns golden brown. Don't wait too long to take off the heat since it changes color very fast.
2. Take off the heat and add the butter. Be careful when adding the butter since the sugar is VERY hot. Add apples after the butter melts.
3. Put in a bowl and let cool.
|Butter melting in the caramel|
2. Apple Crumble:
30 grams butter (room temperature)
30 grams brown sugar
60 grams flour (sifted)
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1. Add the brown sugar to the butter & mix. Add the flour and cinnamon. Mix well.
100 grams butter (room temperature)
140 grams brown sugar
2 grams salt
100 grams milk
240 grams flour
8 grams baking powder
50 grams chopped walnuts
1. Mix the softened butter with the brown sugar using a whisk. Add the egg in portions.
2. Sift together the salt, flour & baking powder. Add 1/2 of the flour mixture to #1 above and mix -- add 1/2 of the milk and mix. Repeat the process with flour & milk and mix well. Add the nuts.
1. Fill muffin cups about 1/3 full then add pieces of the apple caramel. Add a little more batter and top off with the apple crumble. Should make about 11 - 12 muffins.
2. Bake at 190 degrees Celsius for about 10 minutes then reduce the oven to 180 and bake for 20 minutes.
|Muffins ready for the oven|