|Cut yourself a slice of the|
mixed berry pie!
This pie combines all of the berries you like - strawberry, blueberry and raspberry. You can add a few pieces of rhubarb for more variation if you like. Rhubard is difficult to find around Tokyo so I don't use it.
The recipe for the crust below is very flaky and crisp so I highly recommend it.
170 grams flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
100 grams butter
1 tablespoon sugar
1. Put flour in a bowl and lightly whisk to add air. Cut the butter into small pieces and add to the flour. Use a pastry cutter to mix in the butter. Can also use fingers to mix in the butter - should be blended well. Add in the egg.
2. Put on a board and use the heal of your hand to mix everything to ensure it is a smooth texture.
3. Shape into a ball and flatten. Cover with plastic and put in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or so before rolling out. Neatly roll out to fit a 18 cm baking pan. Keep out extra for the top
|Brush with egg before baking|
1. Cut the berries into bite size pieces and place into a large bowl. In a separate bowl, mix together 35 grams flour and 35 grams sugar then add to the berries and mix using a spatula.
2. Pour the berries into the pie shell and cut out another piece of dough for the top. Decorate the top nicely and brush with egg.
3. Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 30 - 40 minutes depending on the size of the pie pan.
|Cool thoroughly before serving|