Figs have a lot of water and I haven't been very successful in baking with them so I am sticking with jam. I really enjoy the taste of this jam on a piece of dark bread.
The recipe includes both sugar and honey for sweeteners. Be careful with using honey since it can overpower the taste of the figs. Please adjust the honey to your own taste as well.
|Jam is bubbling away|
750 grams figs (approximately)
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
zest of 1 lemon
1/3 cup honey
1/2 cup sugar
You can add other flavors such as cinnamon or ginger as you like.
- Combine all of the ingredients in the pan and let sit for about 15 minutes.
- Put on a medium heat and bring to a boil. Cook for about 35 - 40 minutes. The water will start to reduce and the mixture will become more dense. Skim off the debris from the top while cooking.
- Knowing when the jam is ready can be difficult. Keep a plate in the freezer and drop some of the mixture onto the plate and put back in the refrigerator for about 30 seconds. When you tip the plate, the mixture should be thick and not watery. When it reaches this state then remove the pan from the heat and fill the containers.
- Put on the lids immediately and let cool before storing in the refrigerator.
- Recipe makes 3 cups (600 ml) of jam (and a little extra for tasting).