|Soft sponge cake with fresh cream and chestnut filling|
The soft sponge cake combined with the fresh cream and chestnut paste is a delicious combination.
The cake is quite easy to put together so take a Saturday afternoon and make a new dessert.
1 egg5 egg yolks
60 grams flour
10 grams cornstarch
45 grams butter
4 egg whites
95 grams sugar
5 grams cornstarch
1. In a bowl, sift the flour and cornstarch together.
2. In a small sauce pan, melt the butter. Add the flour/cornstarch (60 grams) mixture. Mix with whisk.
3. Put #2 above into a bowl, add in the 1 egg & the egg yolks (in portions) and mix well with a small whisk.
4. Whip the egg whites until stiff – add the sugar in portions while mixing. Add the 5 grams cornstarch at the end.
5. Mix the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture.
6. Pour into the baking pan about 20 cm x 20 cm. Spread evenly. Tap once on the table to remove air bubbles.
7. Bake at 170 degrees Celsius for about 20 minutes. Do not over bake or the cake will not be soft enough to roll.
Milk 300 gramsEgg yolks 4
Granular sugar 40 grams
Flour 20 grams
Cornstarch 9 grams
Butter 20 grams
1 teaspoon dark rum
150 grams chestnut cream
Gelatin 6 grams (soften in water and drain the water)
150 grams fresh cream
1. Heat the milk in small saucepan until just boiling.2. Combine the egg yolks & granular sugar in a bowl and mix well. Sift the flour/cornstarch and add to the egg yolk mixture.
3. Pour the warm milk into the egg mixture. Pour back into the pan and strain while pouring.
4. Heat until it becomes thickened. Use a whisk to mix
5. Remove the milk mixture from the heat and add the gelatin then the butter. Mix well to remove any lumps. Put into a bowl then add the chestnut cream and mix.
6. Pour into a bowl and cool until the mixture becomes thickened.
7. Whip the fresh cream into firm peaks.
Putting the cake together:
1. Cut the cake to the correct size and put the cake on top of a piece of plastic wrap.
2. Use a spatula and brush a layer of the fresh cream on the cake. Then add the chestnut topping on top and smooth with a spatula. Be careful not to mix together the cream and chestnut paste.
3. Roll up the cake and use the plastic wrap to leverage the rolling process. Once it is rolled, wrap tightly and put in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
200 grams chestnut cream30 grams fresh cream
3 gram gelatin
1 Heat the 30 grams cream & then added softened gelatin Add to the chestnut cream.
2. Slightly whip the 30 grams cream & add to the above. Decorate the cake using a pastry bag and nozzle with several small holes on in it.